Friday, August 22, 2008

The 'Move' of Worship

I know that music moves us. Its the way God set us up. That's not entirely a blanket statement, but by and large music moves us. My question for this musing is this: To where does music move us? It moves us from here (where we are) to where?

The right music moves me closer to my wife, or different music stirs a patriotic response in me. The music on that ASPCA (the sad one with the abused/neglected animals) commercial moves me to change the channel. But music that proclaims the Holiness or Righteousness or Sacrifice or Grandeur of our Lord moves me to offer Him all of me. It stirs in me a desire to surrender.

So music moves us toward the intended target? That doesn't sound exactly right. To where does music move us? It can move us to an ideal or event. Get the right jingle stuck in my head and I'll start craving coca-cola. But I don't think God's intended purpose for that programming is fulfilled by mass marketing that "teaches the world to sing, in perfect harmony". I think God's intended purpose in programming us to have music move us is so that we are moved to worship Him. So if the song you just listened to causes you to be amazed at the God of the universe, it fulfilled His intended purpose. If not, well that's 3+ minutes of your life you'll never get back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

music moves us to wherever the message of the song takes us i think....if its a bad song talkin bout worldy desires then it leads us to think about and possibly join in with the world. If the message of the song is about Jesus Christ and surrending all and loving Him with everything, then it leads us to lvoing Him with everything we have. I think wherever your heart is while youre listening to the music determines where the music moves you to...idk if that makes sense but just my respons to the post...this post makes me think..i like to think...