Monday, February 23, 2009

Get up and go.

Those words have troubled me for the better part of a week now. But I feel as though God has given them to me as affirmation of His will. Matthew 26:46 is where they come from. Jesus had led the disciples into the garden to pray, knowing that Judas was about to come betray Him. The disciples, instead of praying, went to sleep out of exhaustion. He encouraged them to stay awake, but they couldnt. So when He was finished praying, He goes to them and says 'get up; let's go'.
My concern has been that I slept through something important. Something that I cant go back and revisit. They couldnt go back and pray for Jesus, it was too late. But when I read Oswald Chambers application of this scripture, my perspective changes from concern to encouragement.
My Utmost for His Highest contains this simple paragraph:
'There will be experiences like this in each of our lives. We will have times of despair caused by real events in our lives, and we will be unable to lift ourselves out of them. The disciples, in this instance, had done a downright unthinkable thing— they had gone to sleep instead of watching with Jesus. But our Lord came to them taking the spiritual initiative against their despair and said, in effect, "Get up, and do the next thing." If we are inspired by God, what is the next thing? It is to trust Him absolutely and to pray on the basis of His redemption.'
Jesus was leading to the next thing. He spoke against discouragement and despair, offering instead refocus and direction. He has shown me where the next thing is (its here, btw), so I will trust Him absolutely to direct my actions and walk with Him into what the next thing is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you brother.